Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Homeschooling Tips from a Public School Educator

Kelly's Korner is doing a Show Us Your Life on Home Schooling today.

As an educator, I understand why somebody would want to educate their children at home. You have more control over their environment, they get more individualized attention, and you know what they are being exposed to each and every day.

That being said, remember the public school system is not your enemy. I would be willing to say the 99% of churches have at least one school teacher in their congregation. Teachers are a fount of knowledge when it comes to resources that are free. Take advantage of their knowledge. Many times teachers have access to retired textbooks and other materials. Some books, no matter how old, are still full of teachable materials.

There are many websites online that are free to everyone. Kuta Software has upper level math worksheets and tests. Blaine uses them in his classroom. There's a wealth of resources on the internet, around town, and through your friends. Most teachers I know would be happy to share their 'freebies'

Here is my last piece of advice: Socialization skills with all kinds of people are imperative. These skills are necessary when dealing with the "real world." I'm not saying make them knowledgeable in all the ways of the world. Just prepare them for what they are going to encounter.

Feel free to email me if you are looking for any kind of resources. I am always happy to help when I can! Robin's email

~Robin

p.s. here are my qualifications:

I taught 7th grade Math and Science for 6 years
I was an elementary (K-6) librarian for 4 years
I am a junior high librarian now and have been since 2004.
I have a degree in Elementary Education and certified to teach 1-6
I am certified to teach Math, Science, and Social Studies grades 5-8
I am certified to teach Business grades 4-8
I am certified in Library Science P-12

2 comments:

  1. As a former homeschoolee (or whatever that word would be, ha!) and a Mom who plans on homeschooling her children, I have to say I am so happy to see how positive you approached this!

    Socialization concerns seem to be the number one qualm people have. Everyone seems to know, or have seen, that one totally backwards home school kid that has completely turned them off of homeschooling. What they fail to realize is that they've probably met numerous other homeschooled children and yet never realized it because they were so "normal".

    I was homeschooled because of religious convictions, but I honestly got a better education than most people in my area. Yes, I have friends who went to public schools who are way more knowledgable than me, but they all live in larger cities with better school systems. Our school system in this area is HORRENDOUS, and seeing that I live in a very rural area, home school is my option and I'm taking it!

    Sorry that I've written a book on your comment section, but it is just SO encouraging to see a public school educator be pro-home schooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thrilled to see your comment about home schooling and your helpfulness to home schoolers. You mentioned socialization and sometimes that can be a problem. However, you failed to comment on what kind of "socialization" one gets in public school.

    Usually, home schoolers are able to relate to all ages, because they do it daily at home. But public school children often CAN'T relate to all ages. They seem to develop a "herd" instinct (those in their class) which ends up translated into "us" against "them." Their friends in their class are everything to them, but it seems to draw them away from relating well to parents, extended family, etc. I was never home schooled, but I had the experience of going to private, Lutheran schools and then going to public schools. I attended 3rd grade in public school. Then Lutheran schools 4th through 6th grade. Then public school 7th through 8th grades. Then Lutheran schools 9th through 11th grades. Then public school in the 12th grade. The area I lived in had a large Mexican and Latino population, both of which highly valued early sex (I'm talking 7th & 8th grade), stealing, and cheating. There was no appreciation for education. Because of my Lutheran training, I didn't get sucked into those value systems, thank God! And, no, I didn't get socialized well in that environment. And I wouldn't want any child of mine socialized there either. Socialization is over-emphasized, I think. Again, the "herd" instinct. You MUST fit in, or you will be miserable. On the contrary, if you think for yourself and value your individuality, you can become anyone you want to be...a scientist, journalist, financier. Reminds me of the saying, be nice to the nerds because they may be your boss in later life. The American Way values individuality and that is the reason we have become so successful in the world. Those countries that do not reward individuality never invent new things, etc. Oh, well, I've enjoyed expressing my opinion about this subject. Thanks for the opportunity. Coco

    ReplyDelete

If you are leaving a comment at "Anonymous", please "sign" your comment :)