Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Chocolate gravy is liquid love. - me.

This is a picture of love. Growing up I would visit my Granny and she would always make me chocolate gravy and biscuit bread. My Momma would make it too. My dad even called Illinois one time and asked my Aunt Libby how to make it, so he could cook it for us.

Thursday morning, my sister, the best in the world, made me chocolate gravy and biscuit bread!
I have to admit, I was so excited, I ate my food too fast. I got stuck and lost half of my breakfast! I was super sad. But believe me when I say, I sure did enjoy, slowly,  the rest of the bowl!!!
Do you see the steam coming off of this bowl. It was hot and delicious! What a way to start my morning!

After the funeral, we went to lunch. The church, where my aunt attends, fixed lunch for the family.

My cousin made some Chicken and Dumplins. They were some of the best I have EVER eaten. I went and begged for leftovers to take home! I even got a to-go container for my Uncle Kevin, even though I really wanted to take them ALL home!

This was my view as I was heading back home. The leaves are changing colors and the trees were gorgeous. I wish this picture did justice to how pretty it was!
Guess what I had for dinner???

It was even better the second time!!!

There's just something about food made with love. Mmmmmmm

Show some bloggy love,

~Robin

p.s. when I was younger I wrote a little poem about my love for my Granny and  chocolate gravy!


Going to Granny’s house was always fun.
Her house was warm and full of love.
Sometimes itwas full of cousins, too.
We always found fun things to do.

Granny let us do what Momma said “No!”
And in the living room we put on a show.
We played in the bathroom and mixed up a mess.
Going to Granny’s was better than recess.

She gave us spoons, salt, and pans.
To make the most wonderful mud pies in.
Staying with Granny was always an adventure.
She even let us look at her dentures.

Jumping on beds and looking through photos.
Her house was the place to go.
Granny let us sleep with her and told scary stories.
Staying with her was never, ever boring.

We slept real warm in Granny’s beds.
With blankets piled as high as our heads.
She always let us sleep real late.
Waking up there was always great.

We knew that the best was yet to be.
Because in the kitchen, Granny was busy.
Her breakfast was the best part of our day.
It started out the same, every time we stayed.

She made chocolate gravy and biscuit bread.
And kept on making it after we had wed.
Now Granny makes gravy for a new batch of kids.
Who get in trouble, just like we did.

Nobody makes chocolate gravy as good as Granny’s.
Her breakfast cooking was just uncanny.
Going to Granny’s house was always fun.
Her house was warm and full of love.

I still miss her!

2 comments:

  1. 1/4 cup cocoa
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup white sugar
    2 cups milk
    1 tablespoon butter, softened
    2 teaspoons vanilla

    Directions

    Whisk the cocoa, flour, and sugar together in a bowl until there are no lumps. Pour the milk into the mixture and whisk until well incorporated. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until its consistency is similar to gravy, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir the butter and vanilla into the mixture until the butter is melted. Serve immediately.

    This isn't my family's recipe. I don't have it, but I found this one online :)

    ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biscuit bread according to Tanya
    Bisquick with more milk than it calls for so it will pour. Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes or until brown.

    ReplyDelete

If you are leaving a comment at "Anonymous", please "sign" your comment :)