Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

My cooking is so bad my kids thought Thanksgiving was to commemorate Pearl Harbor. ~Phyllis Diller

Happy Thanksgiving! Deuce, my great-nephew, is thankful he doesn't have to have his picture made with me every day! I'm thankful I'm blessed with such an awesome group of in-laws!

Before I go into the Thanksgiving details I want to talk about Thanksgiving Eve! We woke up yesterday morning and went to see Dr. Hyman to have our heads eyes examined. He says that I can go one more year before having to switch to BIFOCALS! OMG I need reading glasses! I'm going to get me the old lady/librarian kind and put them on a chain around my neck!!!!

We went to Denny's for breakfast, came home and worked on the house, took a little nap. All the sudden I woke up and said "We forgot to pick up the turkey!!!" Up we got and went to Gus's to get the turkey. Blaine took the turkey to his mom's. I was mixing up all the casseroles and needed the room in the fridge for those!

After I got them all mixed, we went to trivia. We needed a break from house cleaning and cooking! Our friends Shirey and Stacy met us there.


So glad we went! I had a blast. We got second place! I have to tell you Shirey is awesome! She come to our house and helped me out. She talked to me while I cooked, cleaned off the kitchen table, and helped me conquer Mt. Everest aka My Closet! I probably wouldn't have gotten any sleep if she hadn't helped out! Thanks again Shirey!

I woke up at 7:30 and got busy.
 Sausage Balls by Paula Deen

1 pound sausage (my MIL says the cheaper and greasier, the better)
3 cups Bisquick
4 cups Cheese (don't cheap out, get the good stuff! Cheddar is better)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray.  Combine all ingredients in a large glass bowl. Mix well with your fingers. The mixture will be very crumbly. Form into 1 inch balls, squeezing the mixture so it holds together, then rolling it between the palms of your hands to form balls.  Place the balls on the baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. To prevent sticking, move the balls with a spatula halfway through cooking.

 Here's the finished Dinosaur Breath Cheese Ball! You can find the recipe and directions here.

 This is soooooo yummy. I eat it by itself, no Triscuits!
This is the tray my Aunt Libby gave to me. I think about her every time I use it! Love you Aunt Libby!!

 Fancy Sweet Potatoes by my cousin Sharon
3 c sweet potatoes (canned - mashed well)
1 c sugar
1/2 c milk ***I used whipping cream***
1/3 c melted butter
2 eggs
1 t vanilla

 Combine & pour into baking dish.  (I always spray with Pam first)
Topping
1 c coconut
1 c chopped pecans
1 c brown sugar
1/3 c flour
1/3 c melted butter

***I didn't use this topping. My BIL has diverticulitis and nuts and coconut are a no-no. So I used MARSHMALLOWS!!!***

Blend well and spread over potatoes.  Bake at 375 degrees till hot, bubbly and browned.

 Secret Family Recipe Corn Casserole by my cousin Sharon

1 Stick Butter- melted
2 eggs - well beaten
1 can Creamed Corn
1 can Whole Kernel Corn - drained
1 small can Pet Milk
1 box Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
***I added some onions, sometimes I add bacon, sometimes I get extra crazy and add shredded cheese!***
Mix butter and eggs.
Add both cans of corn.
Mix in Pet Milk and Jiffy mix.
Pour into a greased/Pammed pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
 Broccoli Casserole by my momma

2 packages frozen broccoli
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small onion - chopped ***I used frozen chopped onions from Kroger!***
1 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs - well beaten
1 stick margarine ***I used butter***
1 bag croutons (onion & garlic flavored) ***I used garlic & butter flavor***
1 lb cheese, grated
***I added 1 cup minute rice and 1 cup water***

Cook broccoli. Drain.
In a large bowl, combine soup, onion, eggs, and mayonnaise. Fold in broccoli. Place in a large casserole dish. Cover mixture with grated cheese. Cover with croutons, which have been mixed with melted butter. Bake at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes.
 Green Bean Bundles by my friend Jami!
2 cans WHOLE green beans ****I doubled this recipe****
1 stick butter
1/2 lb bacon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. garlic salt
Toothpicks

Place 1/2 strip of bacon on the palm of your hand. Put 7-8 beans on your palm. Wrap the bacon around them and secure with a toothpick.

Place in a pan

Pour melted butter over bundles.
Sprinkle with garlic salt and brown sugar.

Bake at 450 degrees for 45-60 minutes. ***This is necessary for the bacon to cook! Don't skimp on the time or the temp!***
 Ham by Honey Baked Ham! I used a $3 coupon at our local Kroger!
 Dressing by Mrs. Priscilla, my friend Tona's mama! AWESOME! She also sent some yummy gravy too!
 Turkey by Gus's. It tasted better than it looks.
 Salad by me :)
Bag of Salad
Slice olives
Bacon Bits
Shredded Cheese
Purple Onions
Chopped Tomatoes
How awesome do these "homemade" rolls look????
Here's my SECRET recipe!

Go to the frozen section and get the frozen bread loaves.
Thaw the dough and let it rise.
Take your pizza cutter and slice into chunks.
Place chunks in a pan
Melt a stick a butter, pour over bread chunks.
Sprinkle Mrs. Dash on top.
Sprinkle Kosher Salt on top.
Bake until Golden Brown. Use back of dough bag for temp and times!
Delicious!!

Three of the nephews and a great-nephew from Blaine's side of the family. What a crew! I survived today and had a great time visiting with everybody. I hate that my dad and Coco weren't able to come!

And now for the boys, here's a video (it's PG-13) proceed with caution :)
Show some bloggy love!
Happy Thanksgiving!
~Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are leaving a comment at "Anonymous", please "sign" your comment :)