Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Throwing stones, please don't.

I've really been pondering the whole "Chik-fil-a doesn't like gay marriage" explosion.

Since this is my blog, I figure I can type what I want. If you don't like it, "X" out.

That's the thing about our country, to an extent, if you don't like something you don't have to go there, use the product, watch the show, etc.

People (this includes Muppets) who say they will no longer do business with this company due to their stance on marriage, where have you been? This is a company that was founded on traditional Christian beliefs and are closed EVERY Sunday. You thought they were pro-choice and for same-sex marriage before this? Ever go to Hobby Lobby? They're closed on Sundays, wonder what their stance is.

Don't make yourself one of the hateful people that avoids somebody just because what you believe differs. The world needs more love. All this hate will just fester in your heart and make you say and think hateful things. Both sides, need to step back and just let the others live. I say all the gay couples (not to imply there aren't gay Christians) should go to Chik-fil-a and show the love, not the hate. All the Conservative Christians should go to Starbucks, Disney, and Home Depot and show them Christian love. You don't have to buy anything if it hurts, you, but be nice!

To many people are going around this world filled with hate. Quit letting them live rent-free in your heads! The only person you're hurting is you and maybe the people who witness your behavior.

Our place is not to judge, our place is to love. Love the sinner, not the sin.

I'm for people being happy. I'm for staying out of their business. I want them to stay out of mine. Who's to say which biblical sins get laws against them and which don't? Please don't outlaw the Turtle Pecan Blizzard. I know it's evil, but it's good.

I have friends on both sides of every fence ever built. Gay, straight, conservative, liberal, spankers, non-spankers, pro-choice, pro-life, year-round school, give-me-my-summer-vacation, drinkers, abstainers, atheist, agnostic, three-times-a-week (if not more Southern Baptists) the list goes on. Who am I to tell you what you believe is wrong? Why do you get to tell me what's wrong? You want to convince me? Set the example, love me, live the witness. Don't approach me with hate and a refusal to accept my differences, that will turn me off faster than anything.

How I was raised and what I believe are sometimes the same and sometimes different. I want to be allowed to believe what I do without fear of judgement. I just want to be loved. If you want to pray for me, that's awesome, please don't lecture me. At my age, 42, I'm going to do what I want. If you make me uncomfortable, I'm not going to be around you.

I'm don't like discussing politics with people I don't know well. Folks sometimes make assumptions based on whether you vote Democrat or Republican. You're a Democrat? Oh you're a baby-killing, give all the money to the immigrants liberal! You're a Republican? You're a racist, bible-thumping conservative. Please quit judging, IT'S NOT YOUR JOB!

Personally, if you want to marry your pet goat, go for it, as long as the goat is able to voice its consent. Oh, it can't speak? No goat wife for you. Two guys? Two women? One guy, five women? As long as everybody is a consenting adult, not my business. You answer to God, not me.

I have friends that have been with their partners, for years! Longer than most married couples. But when something happens and their partner dies they will have NO rights. They won't be able to make end of life decisions, be allowed in the ICU, because they will not be considered next of kin. What does it hurt for you to allow them the legal courtesies so many take for granted? Why is a same-sex marriage more damaging to family values than people living together? Why do they scare you?

Why not go after the people who've been married seven times and divorced seven times?The people who just live together but opt not to marry? Who are we to pick which sins get legalized. Are there still common law marriages? Why? Let's legalize pot while we're at it and tax the crap out of it! Wouldn't that help the deficit? Oh look! A Squirrel!

What makes somebody believe that they get to dictate how the rest of the world lives? Not everybody believes in the Bible, that's their choice. My choice is to allow them to choose. I'm not a historian, and please don't give me a lesson in the comments, but wasn't this country founded by people seeking religious freedom?

Please don't leave snarky comments, I will delete them. I don't care if you're a relative, a colleague, a friend, or a complete stranger. BE NICE WITH YOUR WORDS!

Whew, I feel better. Please remember to love your neighbor.

Robin

11 comments:

  1. I was going to ask if you felt better now, but you already answered the question :) Very good rant!

    Love,
    Your Seestar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach Preach (no pun intended). I get so sick of self righteous a-holes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one comment regarding the end of life decisions part. Whether you are married or not married, your partner is the same sex or opposite sex, you can choose who makes end of life decisions for you. A Healthcare Power or Attorney form designates who you want to make decisions for you if you are unable to make them. It is something that is easy to fill out and saves a lot of fighting later. Pick someone, tell them you wishes, and put it in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad somebody else feels the same way i do!! Everybody should just do what they feel is right, if you can lay your head down and go to sleep at night with your own life, then people should mind their own business and do what is right for themselves. Stop trying to run everybody elses life by thinking we should all live the exact same way. There is no one right way, in my opinion anyway. Shannon M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the world is, quite sadly, full of people who don't think until someone asks them to. They weren't thinking about Chik-Fil-A before it came on the news because, quite frankly, too many people look to the news to tell them what to think (or what to think about.)

    I kind of like the idea of gay people going to CFA. Maybe we should go on August 1st... get a bunch of gay people to all go eat at CFA, smiling and holding hands while they do it. Hehehe. Ok, maybe that wouldn't go over so well in some places.

    In all honesty, if I cut everyone out of my life who didn't feel the same as I do about gay people, many of my friends from Arkansas wouldn't be part of my life at all. Granted, some little *darlings* have saved me the trouble by acting as though I don't exist, but luckily I never had that teacher nor was I close to her kids. 8-) Even bubby dearest doesn't keep in contact anymore. But that's a choice they make and have to live with.

    I only have ever asked that people treat me with dignity and respect. You don't have to agree with me, but yes, if you cannot be civil, we're done.

    I TOTALLY agree with the part about not letting people take up space rent-free in your head. You have to let it go. I tell my students all the time that stupid people will say stupid things for all of their stupid lives. You can't fix stupid. If you let them get to you, you waste waaay too much time being upset. Life is really short. No time to be that upset.

    Ok. I have to go bike an hour to work now. Cheers. 8-)

    -Zachary Kyler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my....that was awesome!!!! You said it better than I could have ever done!

    Catherine

    PS...Love, love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was knocking around on the internet and found your blog, and it is exactly what I'm thinking. The amount of venom from both sides is not only sickening, it's unproductive.

    The idea of what is "normal" has evolved in so many ways. And it seems when someone rubs up against a normal that differs from theirs, they dig in harder and stop listening completely.

    The most disarming thing you can say to someone who doesn't like/hates you, "That's okay. Thank you for sharing your point of view." Who can argue with love and understanding?

    -Raina

    P.S. We'll really know we've come a long way when we just call it "marriage" and not "gay marriage".

    ReplyDelete

If you are leaving a comment at "Anonymous", please "sign" your comment :)