Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

"In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes." - Andy Warhol

I love my job. There have been days I haven't but for the most part of the past 19 years I have enjoyed being in education.

I started out subbing for a semester. I subbed in every grade and every subject over 5 five months. I think every teacher ought to have to subbed for a semester before going into a classroom.

You get the kids at their sneakiest and wildest. You find out what it's like to fly by the seat of your pants and try to maintain control over children you don't know. You also prepare more diligently for when you are absent, because you know what it's like to walk into a classroom with NOTHING.

I never planned to be out of the classroom after six years. I do believe that becoming a librarian was one of the smartest decisions I never really made.

I had spoke about if I did go back to school I wanted to get a degree for library, but I never really followed through. My friend Cissy ruptured her Achilles tendon and needed somebody to drive her to grad school. I didn't have anything better to do and thought I would start taking classes with her.

The first day of our first class, a lady came in and asked if anybody was interested in being a librarian for the West Memphis School District! Wow! What nobody knew was that I had already filled out applications for Marion and West Memphis. I was interested in some stupid boy and wanted to move closer to Memphis.

I called and spoke with the Asst. Superintendent for Elementary. He said he was interested in interviewing me and I asked when he would want me to come. His reply "YESTERDAY!"

At my interview they were looking for my application and couldn't find it, until they looked on the Asst. Superintendent for Secondary's desk. That day they offered me the choice of Elementary Librarian or East Junior High Math teacher.

I took Librarian in a heartbeat! Little did I know that Blaine was at East. God knew I wasn't ready to meet him yet. Four years later, I was moved to East. Two years later, I was married to Blaine!

I have never regretted leaving the classroom for the library. I enjoy finding books that kids like to read. I love when their eyes light up about a book.

I don't get to read often at work, but it has given me a greater love for young adult fiction. I'm constantly watching for new books for my students.

I have always been a voracious reader. I come from a family of readers. I believe that children must be encouraged to read from the very beginning. Read to them every day. When they get old enough, have them read to you.

I've never had world-wide fame, nor do I really want it. I'm not even 'city-famous.' I'm EJHS famous! But it's still kind of a thrill to go out to eat, hear your name called, and see a smiling young face that's waving enthusiastically. Then hear him loudly whisper, "Mom, that's my liberry teacher!" "Hey Mrs. Reeves! Hey Mr. Reeves!"

It makes my heart happy.

The liberry lady,

~Robin

p.s. we got the new washer and dryer, they are working like dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are leaving a comment at "Anonymous", please "sign" your comment :)